Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I don't think I plan on going on another vacation any time soon...

So, I am back in Canada. Actually, I got back yesterday, and I would have posted but I was suffering from jet-lag, and I still am considering the fact that I woke up at 4:00 AM. Anyway, let me summarize my trip for you.

  1. Arriving at Canadian Airport: First we went to the Air France check in counter ("We" referring to my mom, brother, and I. My dad was to drive our van back home and come with my uncle who lives across the street from my family. Anyway, at the check in we asked the lady if we could get my dad's boarding pass even though he was not present, the male at the next counter said it would not be possible, but the lady said she would do it anyway, to which the male replied "Your job sweetheart..." to which the lady laughed. Anyway, the lady did it and the male was impressed. Then, considering my mom used to work at the airport, we went all around the terminal "meeting" her friends-which may I add was tedious beyond belief. In one of the stores however, was a magazine, and on the cover was Cam Gidanet (or something like that), whom Twilight fans may recognize as "James". I was surprised. Anyway, after the little introductions with my mother's friends, we went to sit and wait for my dad- he arrived half an hour later. Because our flight was in the afternoon and I did not eat lunch, while I was waiting for him I ate several "Snickers" to satiate my stomach. When he did arrove we ran (and I literally mean ran) to the security check. There, we were to take our jackets off, and any metals. Then it was time to walk in, my parents ushered me to go first, but I was a little nervous about it so I sent Akus (my brother) first. He cleared it, then went my father, he cleared it as well, then went my mother, she cleared it also, then it was my turn, and I... cleared it. After that we grabbed our items and went to the "waiting area" to find out our flight was delayed 1 hour. You can only imagine how delighted I was... So we sat to wait 5 hours. For the first bit I listened to my iPod, getting bored I decided to read the Carniverous Carnival. That took up a lot of time, but by the time it was 1 hour until departure I felt tired and decided to look out the window. I watched the planes for what seemed like 10 minutes only to drift back to conciousness via my brother pulling my arm telling me it was boarding time. I was excited beoynd belief.
  2. The plane: Pretty boring, but I saw Step Brothers, and read magazines. To diminish the stereotype, the food was not a half that bad.
  3. Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris: This was out stop on the way. Another 4 hours to wait. In the meanwhile I ate an "authentic croissant", witnessed a very cool hand-drying system, and read over my geography notes.
  4. Boarding of the connecting flight: Boring once again, but I watched an Indian movie and "tried" to sleep.
  5. Landing: We were now in New Delhi, and I was excited. The pilot told us the weather outside was 28 degrees Celsius, very hot. While maneuvering my hand bag into the aisle, I had an unfriendly encounter with a French woman. She was wearing black pants and her leg blended in with the seat, so when my bag got stuck, and I pulled it to take it out, she yelled at me for "not seeing my leg! Don't you have any manners?!?" to which I responded "I am sorry I did not notice your leg there." Then she practically went crazy about children being "ignorant" while I nodded and agreed. She was puzzled, and I took this opportunity to switch lanes and get out.
  6. Indhira Gandhi International Airport: Stepping outside it hit me. The fresh smell of... pollution. I am not kidding! It smelled terrible, like garbage, rotten food, sweaty socks, and burnt toast all meshed together. The smog was no help either. We were inside and yet everything was covered in a thick layer of smog, like dirty fog indoors. When we got off the plane and filled out the immigration papers we had to pick up our luggage, which does not sound like much, but we had to wait 1 hour just because it was the last off the plane. We were seriously considering leaving it... Then we went to the check-in one last time and then, then we were free to be greeted by the mass of family members waiting at the front. I certainly love my family, but I find it to be utterly tedious when each time they see you them claim, "You have gotten so skinny- are you feeding her?, Look how tall you have grown!, You are so pretty- you look just like your mother/father/me!, Why are you covering you nose?" As you can see, if you are not asleep already, this interrogation took up 30 minutes in the parking lot of the airport, so I was forced to cover my nose in order to attempt to remove that horrid smell.
  7. Car ride home: Stepping into the car I noticed that no one besides me was wearing a seatbelt. Curious as to why the rules had not changed since the last 5 year when I came here in grade 3, I asked. "They are not necessary here." was the genius reply I got back. Alright, if you want to be cryptic... Anyway, I did not want to scrutinize their country in front of them, but in Canada, where driving is organized, we are heavily forced to wear a seatbelt, and there where cars drive in unbelieveable proximity with one-another, it is amazing as to why seat belts are not compulsary... Other than that not much happened, although I did see a truck of cows, dogs on the road, a road fight, a car accident in which one person was heavily bleeding, and garbage- namely litter, on my way to my aunt's home.
  8. Sitting in the living room: Considering it was 4:30 AM, I was unfathomably tired and wanted nothing more than to go to sleep, but my parents "insisted" I stay and "talk" to the family (adults) while the children in their family slept soundly. It hardly seemed fair. Nothing interesting happened here other than the fact that I tried a candied almond and the political system has been facing turmoil...
  9. Sleeping: The mosquitos were terrible... That is all I remember.
** Now that you have gotten the essence of my first day, I am going to skip to the important parts.

  • I got my hair high-lighted (forcefully)
  • Taj Mahal Day. We had to wake up at 4:00 AM in order to catch a train. Then waited for 2 hours (which felt like 5) in a crowded train. When we arrived in Agra, we had to book transportation, which was not difficult considering the swarm of vendors thrusting leaflets into our hands claiming their services were the best. As I mentioned, it was not difficult making arrangements, but my brother and I had to keep our mouths shut because if they found out you were a foreigner they would charge you extra, much extra. One taxi for a resident Indian, Rs. 150 per person, one taxi for an NRI/Foreigner, Rs. 1150 per person. You can see the difference. Anyway, after booking transportation we sat in the car and got a whiff of that Agra air, terrible, terrible, terrible, worse than my first day in India. Even the people living there agree, Agra is the dirtiest place in India. Anyway, the car ride to the Taj was a long one, and on the way I saw several pigs on the road. When we finally reached I was more than excited, only to have my mojo ruined by a poor little boy (with no legs) sitting on the road begging for money. Sadly I had nothing otherwise I would have given him something. The whole while I felt terrible. After clearing the security check we were free to go in. It was beautiful, but the people around it were horrid. They were spitting gum off the top, and kicking it, and disrespecting it in every way imaginable. It was unnerving to watch. Anyway, we went inside and saw the tombs of King Shahajjan and his wife, Mumtaz for whom he had built the Taj and were amazed by the intricate designs. All in all very pretty, here is a picture I took myself of it.
  • Leaving for Goa. A few days later we had a flight for Goa, for which we were extremely apprehensive because of the rumours of a terrorist attack. In fact people were claiming there was a bomb blast on the international side which made me feel great... On top of that my parents were throwing around unpleasant phrases like "If it was in our fate to die, we will die anywhere." That made me feel oh-so-much-better... I was even more worried because our flight stopped in Mumbai, just days after the attack. Anyway, the flight turned out to be safe and Goa was amazing. It was so beautiful, the beaches, the churches, the temples, and the resort we stayed at we all breath-taking. One of the most exciting things which I did in Goa was go para-skiing. Yes, I was attached to a harness, which was attached to a parachute, which was attached to a boat. And, when the boat raced across the water I was launched into the air. A once in a lifetime experience. Here are a few pictures of Goa for you.








  • Punjab. I will discuss this very briefly because I have a book I want to read. Punjab was very pretty and green, and I tried my first sugar cane here. I also saw the Golden Temple here, from the inside and it was marvelous. I went to a lot of homes. I saw an Indian movie and went to an Indian mall/theater. At the mall I had Subway (I do not know why I added that). In Punjab I also saw the Pakistan-India border and took pictures with Indian commandos. Other than that I do not remember much. Here are some more pictures.



















Those are the high lights of my vacation. I am sorry if the post was not as long as you would have liked, but I have a book to read. I hope you enjoyed them.

42 comments:

Ghazal said...

I am really sorry if the pictures do not show up.

Jessica said...

You'd better be sorry, I am(but they're in my email so =D)

You did not get back yesterday. You got back Thursday, which is 2 days before yesterday XD

1.Ooh, true love (sorry, I could not help myself, he was flirting with her).
Your mom went and met all her friends from the airport? I would have been boreder than you :P
-gasp- you cleared it? You mean you DIDN'T have anything evil up your sleeves?
2.Step Brothers? Was it good?
3.You read your GEOGRAPHY NOTES in FRANCE? SHAME!!!!!!!!!
4.
5.Stupid French lady. She's the new Child Hater!
6.You are so pretty- you look just like your mother/father/ME! - ROFLMAO, family members are cruel. And to think mine do the same thing every holiday(approximately every 2 months), imagine if I didn't see them for the same length of time you hadn't seen your relatives -dies-. Point proven.
7.Heavily bleeding? Glad I didn't take your place(I believe that had been the plan XD)

And I still love your hair. Come to think of it, it makes you more Esme like.
Poor legless boy(I'm not being sarcastic, but I can't think of anything else to day)
That's evil. I always thought people loved the Taj Mahal.
I want to paraski!
I think you added that because you wanted to subconsciously point out that there is a Subway and other places like it in India(don't ask?)

Ghazal said...

1. It was funny, I had to laugh in order to muffle my laughter. I think they both stared at me, so I said "I think something is coming around," I know, I know, great cover-up. By the way I am not an evil person. I am trying to fight the evil person who wants to take over the world.

2. Yes. It was funny, but like all great movies, highly cliched.

3. I needed something to do at 4:00 AM in the morning!

4.

5. I know. When we were checking in at customs I saw her again and tried to avoid her as best as I could, because I knew if I saw her I would get really mad and ruin her trip for her.

6. I know. It was tedious beyond belief! But nonetheless I am happy I met them after such a long time.

7. Yes! And people were simply driving around him like he was a stupid pylon!

8. Well. I am happy someone likes it. Though I did not get what Ian meant when he said if he said he liked it other people would laugh at it. I know, I felt so bad for him... I thought so too, turns out they take many a things for granted. Para-skiing is really fun, I suggest you try it sometime. Maybe...

Jessica said...

1.Who happens to be one of your best friends? Just a hunch.
2.Cloverfield wasn't exactly laced with cliches, but maybe I just didn't notice them.
3.Sleep much?
4.This is turning out like that email that one time.
5.
6.Of course you are, they're related to you!
7.Now that just made my day(don't have to note the sarcasm, do I?).
8.I think he meant that if he said he liked it, people would think things. Maybe, I don't know. That's just me being crazy.
And I will try paraskiing -adds to list of things to do-

Ghazal said...

1. Maybe. I am not allowed to disclose confidential information.
2. Well, I mean most. Usually the morals/themes are pretty cliched.
3. I couldn't sleep. I drank an unlimited supply of coke on the plane and I really could not sleep. Hey, when it is free...
4. Yes, yes it is.
5.
6. I think I know that. It is just that saying it seems more holiday-like.
7.
8. Perhaps... You should really try it though. So much fun!

Jessica said...

1.Aww.
2.Yeah, there's no creativity in the world anymore(prove me wrong, someone)
3.I thought you were a health freak?
4.It's actually very fun.
5.
6.I see.
7.
8.I'm going to doubt there are pictures in those emails you sent me(too lazy to check)

Ghazal said...

1.That is just the way the world is.
2.Sorry, I agree with you.
3.That was Davan's opinion.
4.Yes.
5.
6.
7.
8.There should be. They showed up on mine.

Anonymous said...

1. Do we get guesses?
2. I don't know. One time I was dreaming of a chickencow that flew and ate up and orange flavoured dragon. Does that count?
3. Apparently, you're also a study freak.
4.
5.
6.
7. Poor him.
8. Boo, hoo. I didn't get them.

Jessica said...

1.You do, I don't. For confidential reasons(hint, hint)
2.I think it does count, because it made me laugh.
3.She is. And it's my opinion too.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.I'll check, it's just that it's kind of hard looking through 6 emails of about 149574674 pictures each.

Ghazal said...

I think you all have had enough laughter at my expense. Can we please talk about something else now?

Jessica said...

Like what?
And I never laughed at you, I laughed at Jameson's dream.

Ghazal said...

Which one way or another lead to me... I don't know.

Jessica said...

Sure it did.
And if you can't think of anything, I'm afraid we'll have to continue teasing you.

Ghazal said...

Christmas presents?

Jessica said...

K!
Rock Band. Camera(which we're gonna return 'cause it sucks). Clothes. A Journal Thingy. Clothes. Stuff that I forgot =D

And you?

Ghazal said...

Why does your camera "suck"?

1. My beautiful HP Pavillion
2. A new laptop case
3. Clothes
4. The Host (a little late)
5. Money
6. A gift card

Jessica said...

Still not jealous......-twitches-

Because the quality is really bad, and once you press the shutter button, it takes at least 3 seconds to take the darn picture!
Oh, and the batteries run out FAST.

Ghazal said...

Which company?

Jessica said...

It's called MoviePix, but it doesn't say a company. -looks up-

Kobian?

Yeah, returning it. But I'll send you the good pictures we got(about 6...)

Anonymous said...

And just how many pictures did you take in total.

Jessica said...

A lot.
I don't know how many she took exactly, but a lot.

Jessica said...

And that's a question, not a sentence.

Anonymous said...

Bah (humbug). The power of cyberspace probably just accidently erased the squiggly line from my question mark.

Jessica said...

Curse cyberspace? I don't think bloggers are allowed to do that.

Ghazal said...

Well Jameson is not technically a blogger, but still, I am ashamed. Though I do find myself thinking something along those lines sometimes... I am willing to bet Saigeeth never has thoughts like so cross his mind.

Jessica said...

I know, I was saying that I felt ashamed because I said it.
And no, I'm sure if he did he would feel the need to turn himself in to Microsoft or something.

Ghazal said...

Microsoft does not own cyber-space, though I am sure they would be happy to hear that.

Jessica said...

Not officially.

Ghazal said...

Of course, Mac has a good company too.

Jessica said...

But you hear of Microsoft more.
2 words: Bill Gates.

Ghazal said...

2 more words: I know.

Jessica said...

Verification:losters.
Looks like Lobsters. Birthday dream come true.
I wonder if Blogger is psychic.

Ghazal said...

Okay, let's say it is physic. What would Sarah Palin have to do with our lives?

Jessica said...

Maybe she's going to come to our school and be -shudders- a principal.
Or LA teacher, I would be OK with that XD.

Ghazal said...

But Devoniesh is more qualified than her!

Jessica said...

EVERYONE is more qualified than her.

Ghazal said...

So how would she even receive an application for a job?

Jessica said...

She's famous. Famous people nearly always get special treatment.

Ghazal said...

That is unfair.

Jessica said...

You say it yourself in the play(or is it Kavita?): Life's not always fair!

Ghazal said...

Kavita does.

Jessica said...

Well, then, your co-author says so.