Monday, February 2, 2009

What an awakening to Black history month...

February is here and you know what that means, don't you? That is right, it is Black history month, and in an attempt to educate the children at our school regarding the concept (although 45% is Black...) our school made it mandatory to pay $2.00 to watch some African dancers perform. I, like any good student payed the price, with only a little bit of complaining. Everyone else on the other hand, did not, and you know what? I think they are going to get away with it AGAIN! Oh well... I did what was right. Those people had to be payed somehow. Anyway, it was... very interactive. They insisted that students come up to dance and play the drums with them, although Devoniesh, Guneet, and I were hiding from their eyes. Let me just say, African dancing is not in the least, decent. Now, I do not mean to say it is not normal, because I am anti-racism, but what I mean to say is they are not afraid to take their shirts off and shake in front of the entire school, including the teachers, and administrative staff... How do I know this? An incident occurred which has scarred me for life. That, and a very... poorly proportioned teacher (heavy on top, chicken legs... big hair- WEARING A SKIRT AND TANK-TOP IN THE MIDDLE OF A CANADIAN WINTER!) was dancing like she had a pole to grab onto. If not morally wrong it was d-i-s-t-u-r-b-i-n-g. It was also funny, mainly because, as said by Devoniesh, "Her stomach was moving one way, and her legs another." Aside from that, we saw Mr. Jacobs (evil language teacher) play the drums! He actually did something fun! But, like all good things, it did not last. In fact, as soon as the dancers said it was time for everyone to dance, including the drum players, he ran back to his seat, and then when we acknowledged it in class, he said "Shhhh!".

Throughout the entire assembly Guneet and I were intent on making Devoniesh dance, and eventually, she got up when Alice and Rosalie did and danced. Another funny thing, my COUSIN, got up and could not dance. It was so funny! He was just waving his arms around like the idiot he is... Overall, the assembly was really funny, although I can not remember any of the dancer's names, except the one caucasian man, who's name was John. I still wonder what he was doing there... Apparently all the other dancers were from Africa, and John was from Canada.

Also, my teacher, Miss Dias, was... possessed by some other-worldly force, which made her dance like none of the students were watching. I do not mean to say she danced bad, because she did not, she danced excellently, but it was a little to much for some people to handle. Trust me. I heard what some guys were saying as we walked out... Let me just say, I am happy to be a girl, and not have a mind like that.

As for the rest of my day, I did work. That is all I remember, there really wasn't anything else which would classify as blog-worthy... Although, I did get a B on my basketball test, which is a great achievement for me considering I have two left feet when it comes to sports, (except badminton, tennis, and ping-pong).

Now, if you do not mind I think I will go read some other people's blogs. Happy groundhog day, stay prepared for 6 more weeks of winter!

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess you can't say that the start to Black History Month was interesting. However, you CAN say that is was very, very disturbing.
Notice how no one was clapping when he took his shirt off.
I liked his hat. That's the only thing I liked about him.
One of the girls in my class got the guy and Ms.Carnegie on camera.
What if the groundhog is under a tree?

Ghazal said...

I know, everyone was too disgusted to say anything. I know I was closing my eyes. As for the groundhog, I do not know...

Anonymous said...

Is Scarred for life. It Kanishkan.

Ghazal said...

Yeah. Boldness like that can do that to you.

Anonymous said...

Why in your right mind did you do that, Kanishkan? Let people like Sammy and Kunal (who I think WERE watching him) admire him.

Ghazal said...

Kunal was watching him? **Laughs** Wow.

Jessica said...

Ian got Mr.Jacobs on camera.
Are you saying I am not a good student???
Picasso looked interested.

Anonymous said...

It's Barney!
Really Kunal was watching him.

Ghazal said...

I didn't say anything about you Jess. As for the Kunal thing, why do his friends treat him like god? And please, do not say "he is Kunal". I know that!

Anonymous said...

Fine what about the fact that he doesn't have a brain and everyone in that class s mindless.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Once again you are forcing me into their mindless cult, which I am not a part of.
I said I didn't know for sure, but I said I thought he did. Could be wrong, but according to all of you, unlikely.

Ghazal said...

Jameson has a mind. From what I have seen, Asad has a mind.

Jessica said...

"I, like any good student payed the price"
Heck if you didn't imply it.
Kunal is the son of a teacher. Do you see where I'm going?

Ghazal said...

They think because they are nice to a kid who's mom is a teacher THEY DO NOT HAVE, they will get better grades?

Jessica said...

No but if he snitches....

Ghazal said...

Meh. They need to have more confidence than that.

Jessica said...

Easy for you to say.

Ghazal said...

I could stick up to him.

Jessica said...

And so could I.

Ghazal said...

So how is that easy for me to say?

Jessica said...

I was speaking on behalf of the so-called "men" in our class.

Ghazal said...

Why? Dora is one of those men.

Jessica said...

Well, he's a wimp too, if he wasn't he would have said more than "shut the [...] up" when I said I didn't like I Write Sins Not Tragedies.
Now that I think of it, if Dev hadn't stepped in, it would have turned into an all out brawl.

Ghazal said...

He respects her, that is for sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so Dora isn't actually Dora in the show. He isn't actually a girl. Then who is he?

Ghazal said...

We say Dora for a reason, we can not expose that online where anyone can read it. I will tell you tomorrow, at school.

Jessica said...

Well, no, they're mad at each other too.
But I'm starting to wish I had fought him(verbally), because I think things would have turned out differently.

Ghazal said...

All things happen for a reason.

Jessica said...

Life hates me, then.

Ghazal said...

That defeats the purpose of the saying!

Jessica said...

Well, what could come out of it?
I could have laughed at him because he TALKED TO ME.
And then I'd..well, I don't know.

Ghazal said...

You could have said that...

Jessica said...

But...but...
It was supposed to be implied~

Ghazal said...

I meant said it to him.

Jessica said...

Huh?

Ghazal said...

Leave it.

Jessica said...

Can do!

Ghazal said...

Thank goodness.